Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Calm After the Storm...

Gobble gobble!

Thanksgiving went off without a hitch at Chez Camp! Hurrah!

Jason took Keira in the morning while Carmen and I prepared the veggies and stuffing. In the afternoon, he took Carmen hiking with the family while Keira napped, the 18lb turkey roasted to perfection (toot toot!) and I sipped wine and knitted. It was AWESOME. Around 5pm, everyone returned, tired from the hike... Melina brought 3 different types of homemade bread and beautiful pumpkin tartlets with pumpkin seed brittle, Paul brought some amazing prawns and cheeses for appies. There was lots of wine and beer, a crackling fire and, of course, a round of "Why We are Thankful". Oh, that and two boys running after each other downstairs with a 15lb maul, but I digress...

Before everyone left, the dishes were done, the turkey bones stripped, care packages were distributed, and the leftovers stashed away in the fridge.

The next morning (slightly cloudy from too much lovely vino) I woke to a reasonably clean house and was attacked with the craziest urge to nest - seriously, I thought I might be going into labour soon, it was that crazy! Starting with the turkey bones, I made about 16 cups of gorgeous stock. I wanted some yummy soups for the freezer to go with the nice breads, so I made:

Turkey Noodle Soup
Cream of Broccoli and Turkey Soup
Potato, Leek and Thyme Soup

And then for dinners:

Turkey Pot Pie
Pasta Shells stuffed with Turkey, Goat Cheese, Sundried Tomatoes and Fresh Basil

We had leftover prawns and appies for dinner last night, and we STILL have leftover stuffing, meat and gravy. Dinner for the ENTIRE WEEK!!!

We should have Thanksgiving every Sunday.

But for now, I am pooped from the insane day of cooking and am looking forward to sitting on my butt, enjoying the fruits of my labour!! Gonna go grab one of those leftover beers...

And don't worry - I haven't fooled myself into believing my preschooler will eat any of it!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I'm tired just reading that!

Funny, my mother in law just told me yesterday that she had a neighbor years ago that went through a phase of roasting a turkey every Sunday. She did it about 4 or 5 times in a row. She had three sons and they never complained about daily turkey sandwiches and soup (umm, would any growing boy?) We had a laugh about it yesterday, but then I said it would be a really smart idea. Turkey one week, a beef roast the next, chickens another week, and on and on. Full meal deal on Sunday, then soups, sandwiches, and casseroles throughout the week. It's brilliant actually!