Saturday, November 28, 2009

Santa's Little Helper, Rainbow Brite

Carmen was my little helper during Keira's nap yesterday afternoon and we had so much fun crafting play silks and ribbon streamer wristbands for some of Carmen's little friends!

For the play silks, we started with:

12 silk scarves (36"x36")
12 packs of Koolaid (3 of each colour)
2L of white vinegar



Putting our big mixing bowl into our larger sink proved to contain the mess and prevent stained countertops!

Pour 2 cups of vinegar, 3 cups warm water and 3 Koolaid packs into a big bowl.



Stir, then add scarves.



Agitate for a few minutes (you might want to wear gloves!), then squeeze liquid out when you notice that all the dye has been soaked up. So weird how the water turns nearly colourless again!



Rinse and hang out to dry!



While we waited for them to dry in the winter sunshine, we started the ribbon streamer wristbands. Carmen had a great time helping measure, picking the colours, then cutting the ribbons. I had to tie them all on, but she was definitely a better product tester...





Then we 'wrapped' the gifts up, two wristbands and two matching scarves. Soon we will have a whole bunch of dancing butterflies, caped superheros, magical wizards and exquisite princesses!



I'm not sure, however, when the dye will come off my hands. The gross orangey-green makes me look like an Oompah-Loompah!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Awesome!
I still have a bunch to dye, and those ribbon streamers would be great with them. Wasn't Karen brilliant? And I like the hair elastic idea. I think I'll make some for Isla's stocking.
Thanks for the idea!