Sunday, January 09, 2011

No More Treats

Typically, our family is not a 'treat' family - the kids are expected to eat their dinner (or at least try everything) without reward of dessert for clearing their plate. However, with holiday events abound, the girls got into the habit of asking for treats for finishing their dinner, and with different people around to help facilitate the treat-giving... well, it's just gotten out of hand. It was cute the first few times, but now they are literally asking what they are going to get as a treat if they finish their meal, right as they are sitting down to dinner! Totally unacceptable.

So my family resolution is to introduce the concept of a 'chore board' - in fact, I'm sick of a bunch of other things too (like picking up My Little Ponies from every corner of the house 10x a day), and so I'm hoping to kill a few birds with this stone. I think the following 'tasks' are realistic for both girls, and have a range of things they both like and dislike:

Meals
Clean-ups
Baths
Making Beds
Special Helper - helping with cooking, cleaning, baking, walking the dog, etc.

Each time my girls accomplish one of these tasks, they get to put a marker on their board. At the end of the week, if they've got X markers (haven't decided how many yet), we're going to have a special outing... a Girl's Date at the new cafe around the corner? Going to the Aquarium? I dunno yet, but I just can't stomach bribing my kids with things or junkfood.

I actually constructed a glass wall calendar well over a year ago, and have received so many compliments on it that I decided to make a bunch for Christmas this year - I am posting these how-to's now that all of the recipients have them unwrapped! I decided to extend the idea to construct the chore board, since I find that most of the store-bought ones are kinda ugly, or paper, or make a mess, or are too rigid in the 'tasks', etc. Mostly, I'm picky! I wanted something customizable, so I can change the tasks to be more advanced as the kids get older. I also have a major hate-on for stickers, so having the kids use colourful washable inkpads and various cute stamps as markers is much more appealing to me!

The calendar I made is fully erasable on the front, and I use a non-toxic washable marker to write the dates, month, appts, etc. You could use one of those whiteboard markers, but they stink, are usually toxic, and I hate having that stuff on my fingers afterwards. I use indelible marker on the back of the glass to mark the calendar grid, the placeholders for the dates, and then placeholders for lists down the side - some examples, below - leaving room for a few clips for the Garbage/Recycling Schedule, coupons, etc:

Weekly Meal Plan
Shopping List (from the meal plan, and as things come up)
Highlights for the Next Month
Telephone Messages
Important Numbers (for the babysitter, etc)

The end result looks like this!





First, go to Ikea and buy one of these ($24.99):



I would recommend getting all the hardware installed on your wall before you start mucking around with the actual painting of the glass.

Then go and buy one of these indelible Oil fine-tip Sharpies ($3.99 at Opus). They are toxic and stinky, but I have yet to find an indelible marker that isn't! You only use it once, when you create the calendar template:



For the squares that you write the number on, some coloured inkpads with a 1" square stamp - pick to suit your wall colour and decor:



Set your glass up with the frosted side UP - putting it on an Olfa grid is a great way to keep your measurements consistent and your lines STRAIGHT! Before you start, figure out your plan - you could even trace your lines with pencil if you're feeling gunshy!



Use a straight edge. Work top to bottom and make sure your lines are dry before you move your straight edge over them! Remember if you want any writing, you have to do it backwards, so use a stencil or do some practice runs. I have a really hard time with backwards N's and S's! Try not to worry if your printing sucks, just get in touch with your inner typewriter. Have fun!

Our calendar is fundamental in the orchestration of our household. I'm hoping that the chore board will also help things run a bit more smoothly... anyone else have any advice or tips on how to make this work?

No comments: