Monday, September 28, 2009

The Apple Machine and 'There's a Moose on my Pie!'

I've been struggling with ways to keep Carmen entertained (read, QUIET) while Keira naps in the afternoons. With winter fast approaching, going in the backyard is not always do-able, and I don't like hiding downstairs.

Over the weekend, Jason and I took off on his motorbike for a short spell while Grandpa JJ and Grammelina took the girls to a park. Jason had heard from a friend that there were three apple trees laden with fruit, available for picking! I can't tell you where, because then I'd have to kill you... And yes, I know we are weird for going apple-picking for a date.

Regardless, after nearly an hour of looking for these mysterious trees, lo and behold, we found them! They were indeed dripping with three different types of apples! Jason quickly climbed the trees in full motorcycle gear and started tossing apples down into my hands. Before long we had a huge bag full!



So today Carmen and I tackled the bag with our Apple Machine - a clever little contraption that peels, cores and slices the apples.







After about an hour, we had a dehydrator full of slices for apple chips, and a freezer full for smoothies, pies and morning oatmeal. We kept some of the teeniest ones for eating in the fridge - just the right size for hungry tots! Yum!



Yesterday we made a Chicken Pot Pie with a creative twist - I think I have Tessa L. to thank for some creative inspiration, but can't remember for sure.

Playdough is huge at our house, and so a while back I went to Ikea and purchased these Canadian animal-shaped cookie cutters (can't find 'em online, but they're a few bucks in the Richmond store). A moose, porcupine, beaver, squirrel, bear... you get the picture.

Cutting out dough shapes for the top of our pie kept her busy for over an hour! Hurrah!





And then she had to do 'clean-ups'...



The only question is - what do I do tomorrow? As much as I'd like, pie for dinner every night is NOT a healthy food choice! And we're out of apples until we visit the tree again...



Ideas?

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Isla's loving playdough here these days. I forgot all about the stuff actually, and remembered to make a batch a couple of weeks ago. It keeps her happy (and quiet!) for quite some time!

Hillary said...

I love the animals on top of the pie!

Thanks for stopping by my blog :) I really do appreciate your opinion on my motorcycle angst. I'm hoping to someday reach the point where I can ride on the back of the bike without having a meltdown!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I have one of those apple machines and love it - for apples and pears too. I make a ginger-pear crisp in a whole ten minutes, tops.

I'm going to look for those cookie cutters too. I've got a great collection, but no porcupines or beavers.